© 2013 KV Racing Technology
4001 Methanol Lane, Indianapolis, IN 46268 | (317) 291-1500 | email@example.com
Simona De Silvestro will drive the No. 78 Nuclear Clean Air Energy – KV Racing Technology Chevrolet/Firestone entry during the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season.
De Silvestro, a native of Mont-sur-Rolle, Switzerland, started her racing career karting in Italy. With racing being banned in her homeland since 1955, she chose to race under the Italian flag, thanks to her Italian roots. During 2002 and 2003, the youngster earned a second-place finish in the TrofeodellaIndustria, fifth in the Wintercup and third in the Trofeo Primavera all in Lonato in Italy. She also finished seventh in the Swiss Championship, 13th in the Kart-Cup Monaco and second in the Bridgestone-Cup Switzerland.
In 2004, she switched from karts to cars and participated in the French Formula A Championship finishing 15th overall and then 21st in the Formula Renault 2000 Championship in Italy in 2005.
De Silvestro made the move to the United States in 2006 to pursue her open wheel dreams. She completed her first season in the Formula BMW USA championship earning a victory at Lime Rock, six podiums and 11 top-10 finishes en route to a fourth-place finish in the overall point standings. She also scored two third-place finishes at the U.S. Grand Prix and made history by becoming the first woman to ever earn a podium result at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
In 2007, as a rookie in the Champ Car Atlantic Championship, De Silvestro earned two top-10 results and scored championship points in nine of the 12 races putting her 19th in the standings with Walker Racing. She went one better in 2008 when she earned eight top-10 finishes including her very first win at Long Beach for the Late Paul Newman’s outfit, Newman-Wachs Racing.
De Silvestro picked up her game and stunned the North American open-wheel world in 2009. She won four races in dominant fashion with Team Stargate Worlds in the Atlantic Championship. De Silvestro also achieved four pole positions and an outstanding nine podium finishes making her the first woman in series history to have earned the most wins, pole positions, and led the most laps all in a single season.
The results of her effort led to her finishing the season in third place, proving to observers that she is on par to becoming open wheel racing’s next shining star.
In 2010, De Silvestro made the switch to IndyCar with HVM Racing. She led her first laps at the season-opener in Sao Paulo, Brazil and her drove from 22nd to 14th at the Indianapolis 500 earning her the Indy 500 Rookie of The Year honors. De Silvestro was also awarded the Tony Renna Firestone Rising Star Award.
De Silvestro remained with HVM during 2011 and 2012. She earned her career best finish of fourth at St. Petersburg, FL in 2011 as well as three top-10 finishes and Fastest lap of the race at Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Simona De Silvestro | Driver
#78 NUCLEAR CLEAN AIR ENERGY – KV RACING TECHNOLOGY CHEVROLET/FIRESTONE
• NAME: Simona De Silvestro
• HEIGHT: 5’6”
• WEIGHT: 147 lbs
• HOMETOWN: Mont-sur-Rolle, Switzerland
• BIRTHDATE: September 1, 1988
• AGE: 24
• MARITAL STATUS: Single
• FAMILY: Father Pierluigi De Silvestro and
Mother Emanuela De Silvestro
• HOBBIES: Golf, Tennis, Fitness, Music and Karting
• TEAM: KV Racing Technology
• CAR: #78 Nuclear Clean Air Energy – KV Racing Technology – Chevrolet/Dallara/Firestone
• INDYCAR SEASONS: 3 (2010 – 2012)
• FIRST INDYCAR SERIES SEASON: 2010(First IndyCar start: 3/14/10 Sao Paulo, Brazil)
• INDYCAR STARTS: 47
• INDYCAR WINS: 0
• INDYCAR POLES: 0
• INDYCAR PODIUMS: 0
• INDYCAR TOP-FIVE: 1
• INDYCAR TOP-10: 5
• INDYCAR LAPS LED: 5
• 2002: Karting - Second in the TrofeodelleIndustria
in Parma, Italy
• 2002: Karting – Finished seventh in National Swiss Championship, 13th in the Kart-Cup in Monaco
• 2002: Karting – Second in the Bridgestone Cup
• 2003: Karting - Finished third in the Trofeo Di Primavera at South Garda karting track in Lonato, Italy
• 2006: Won at Lime Rock in the Formula BMW USA with Euro international
• 2006: Finished fourth in the Formula BMW standings with six podiums and 11 top-10 finishes
• 2006: First woman in history to earn a podium at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (she had two third place finishes at the U.S. Grand Prix)
• 2008: Won at Long Beach in the Atlantic Championship for Newman Wachs Racing
• 2009: Finished third in the Atlantic Championship with nine podiums including four wins. She also earned four poles
• 2009: First woman in history to have earned the most wins, poles and led the most laps in a single season
• 2010: Joined HVM in the IndyCar Series, led her first laps at the season-opener in Sao Paulo, Brazil
• 2010: Named Indy 500 Rookie of the Year and won the Tony Renna Firestone Rising Star Award
• 2011: Careerbest finish of fourth at St. Petersburg
Year-by-year highlights, statistics and race-by-race results.
-Karting - Second in the TrofeodelleIndustria in Parma, Italy
-Karting - Fifth in the Winter Cup at South Garda karting track in Lonata, Italy
-Karting – Finished seventh in National Swiss Championship, 13th in the Kart-Cup in Monaco
-Karting – Second in the Bridgestone Cup
-Karting - Finished third in the Trofeo Di Primavera at South Garda karting track in Lonato, Italy
Competed in the French Formula A Championship
-Finished 13th in the standings
Raced in the Formula Renault 2000 championship with Cram Competition in Italy
Competed in the Formula BMW USA with Euro international
-First woman in history to earn a podium at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (she had two third place finishes at the U.S. Grand Prix)
-Finished fourth in the Championship standings
-14 races, 11 top-10 finishes including six podiums and one win (Lime Rock)
Joined Walker Racing in the Champ Car Atlantic Series
-12 starts with two top-10 finishes
Moved to Newman-Wachs Racing and competed in second Atlantic Championship season
-11 races, one podium, a win at Long Beach putting her eighth in the Championship standings
Moved to Team Stargate Worlds, competed in third Atlantic Championship season
-First woman in history to have earned the most wins, poles and led the most laps in a season
-Finished third in the Championship standings
-12 races, four wins, nine podiums and four poles
Competed in first IZOD IndyCar Series season with HVM Racing
-Named Indy 500 Rookie of the Year
-Awarded the Tony Renna Firestone Rising Star Award
-17 starts, two top-10 finishes and first laps led (four total) at Sao Paulo, Brazil
Competed in second IZOD IndyCar Series season with HVM Racing
-Careerbest finish of fourth at St. Pete, earned three top-10 finishes including one top-five
-16 starts, three top-10 finishes and one top-five
Competed in third IZOD IndyCar Series season with HVM Racing
Will drive the No. 78 Nuclear Clean Air Energy - KV Racing Technology
Chevrolet/Firestone car for her fourth IZOD IndyCar season and first
with KV Racing Technology.